Re: Spitfire

To: mrazor@kih.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 01:53:07 EDT
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:00:57 -0400 Michael Razor <mrazor@kih.net> writes:

>..... 1976 Spitfire ..... has a problem ..... trying to get his horns to
work and it grounds to the steering shaft yet he can't figure out how to
get it to ground.

>Is there some kinds of brushes in the shaft that would allow the column
to ratate inside the shaft?

Hey!  I'm an MGA guy, but I think I can answer this one.  Couple years
ago a friend had the same problem with a '76 Spit.  After gleaning what
little there was to find in the shop manual, we figured out that there is
a braided ground wire inside of the universal joint (rubber joint as I
recall) at the bottom end of the steering column.  Tough little job, but
we took it apart and repaired the broken wire to make the horn work.

$0.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude