Re: radiator cap for MGA -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, laner@teleport.com
Subject: Re: radiator cap for MGA -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:53:40 -0400
>I have a 59 MGA. I put a container on the radiator overflow thinking I
>could convert it to a sealed system. One month later I have an overflow
>filled with a quart of antifreeze and a low radiator. I guess cap is
>only letting air back in and not creating a vacume to draw fluid back
>into the radiator. Does anyone know the correct cap to use? A name and
>model would be great. Thanks, Mike

Find out the PSI rating of your cap (usually stamped on it - elsewise
check your manual).  Next, go down to your local cheap parts store, and
ask for a radiator cap of that PSI rating, but set up for coolant
recovery.  The coolant recovery cap has a a rubber gasket in the lid (to
maintain the low pressure between the top of the cap and the radiator
opening), and an extra little spring and valve which open into the
radiator under negative pressure.  I can't speak for MGA's exclusively,
but nearly every radiator cap I've ever seen uses the same shape - it's
only the pressure rating that's different - so generic is fine.

What's probably happening in your MGA, is that the low pressure is
sucking air in from around the top of the cap, since there's less
resistance there than in the hose full of liquid (which has to be raised
from its present level).

Matt Kulka - on topic
'74 B - on tarmac