Re: Non-enthusiasts etc.

To: Rick Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: Non-enthusiasts etc.
From: pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:45:16 -0700
flyers on parked
> Britiron and to stop and talk to strangers driving LBCs to personally
> invite them to participate. This year, I had so many strange and
> unrewarding encounters that I will probably discontinue this practice
> altogether. First, there are so few LBCs in regular use in the greater LA
> area that I think that I left less than a dozen flyers on parked cars!
>
> As for talking to owners in their cars, I gave up personally contacting
> later model Jag and Range Rover drivers, unless their cars were modified,
> as they were NOT enthusiasts and were either annoyed of frightened that
> someone had invaded their "space" and possibly wanted to carjack their
> valuable icons of the good life.
>
> Now, it seems that MGs and Triumphs have been embraced by the goatee,
> earing and tatoo set, who are driving cheap ragtops for style and see
> little difference between these and a Fiat or an Alfa except that they are
> a bit easier and cheaper to repair!  They look at this old greybeard and
> ask, "Why in the world would British car owners want to gather in a park to
> talk about their cars?"  I say that it's lots of fun. Blank stare!  I'm not
> saying that these folks won't eventually become enthusiasts but for now,
> there is little interest.
>
>How true!!
I have a bad habit of chasing down MGs to talk to the owner and 90% of
the time they don't have a clue why I'm interested in their car but on
the other hand if I talk to a guy with a 65 mustang He IS an enthusiast.
I think we have gotten a bad rap!When I bought mine 3 years ago a guy at
work was amazed I bought it and kept asking how much trouble I've had
because you know they are unreliable pieces of sh*t So I make sure I
tell him after I go for a 300~400 mile trip!He is still amazed it's
still running!Though he know thinks I "must have got one of the good
ones"I myself had reservations about buying it in the first place
because the reputation preceded it and after the troubles I had at first
because the DPO didn't keep it up I was beginning to think it was true
myself!The truth is I may not still have my B if it wasn't for this
list!The camaraderie(sp?) and help has been invaluable!THANK YOU ONE AND
ALL!!I think we all need to be as Rick is ,an ambassador for our
cars,when you see someone in a MG talk to him let him know he is driving
a piece of HISTORY not SH&T!Get his phone # see if he wants to go on a
ride with you,ask if he needs any help with his car,ask him if he is on
the internet and tell him about this list.Show up at parades and local
car shows We have 2 0r3 "cruise ins"at our local hamburger joints every
month and I take my B and usually get good responses from the hot rod
crowd.When someone comments on your car let them know that yes it IS
kinda special and very british and all that jolly good stuff!It's up to
us to change the public perception of our cars,at least no one have come
up with Fix It Again Tony(FIAT) Found On Road Dead (FORD) for MGB!!Hmmm,
maybe we should come up with one......Mighty Good (MG).....Mucho
Gusto....See what you can come up with...
Pat