Re: 76 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 76 MGB
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 13:17:52 -0400
> My experience with the Stormberg on my 76B was poor at best.  After about a
> year of tinkering, rebuilding and refining I finally gave up and purchased
> a Weber DGV kit.  5 years and 40k later, the DGV is still performing
>  flawlessly.
> I realize that you may not be ready to take such a drastic step, but it is
> certainly something to keep in mind.  I have met very few post 74.5 B
> owners who are satisfied with the performance of their B with the stock
> Z.S..
> Also, if you've got a big, fat wallet ($900.00 or so) you could do a  twin
> SU's conversion, but as I have no experience with that set up, I can't
> offer any advice.

I did the dual SU (HS4s) conversion for considerably less than the
above amount.  I was able to buy a new set of HS4s for about the
same price as Apple Hydraulics charges to rebuild and rebush
an old pair.  A used pre-1974 intake and exhaust manifold ran about
$50 each (you will need the pre-1974 exhaust manifold anyway for
the Weber conversion).  Then, all you need is a head pipe to
match the manifold and a set of flat air filters which will
clear your brake booster.

My suspicion is that a good bit of the performance problem
assoicated with the Zenith-Stromberg carb is due to the
dreadfully inefficient saxiphone-shaped exhaust manifold which
they used on that model.  My low rpm torque improved
dramatically after I made the conversion.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II