RE:GT wiring harness installation

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:GT wiring harness installation
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:01:34 -0700

>Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 13:58:12 +0000

>From: Dave Houser <<mgs4dave@warwick.net>

>Subject: GT wiring harness installation

>Back to the wisdom of the group again, this time for a wiring question

>on my 67 BGT Special.

>What's the trick to getting the firewall grommet and the harness through

>the hole???

>Does the grommet go in first or do you fit it over the harness and fit

>that way?

>Anything else I should look for with this installation?

>Thanks in advance to all,(I'm actually working on it :>)  )

>Dave Houser

Dave,

     Having just been through this myself, I recommend you put the

grommet on the harness first then feed the harness through. Even this way it's
a pain.

Feed most of the wire bundle for the fuse box, through before you reach the big
bundle area, then draw the rest through after. You are better able to get the
wires through before the cable bundle gets to the biggest area.

It also seems easier to feed the wires through with the wiper motor removed,
you have better access.

I began inside the car, lay the cable across the steering column and center
console area and support with a few loosely attached ty-wraps. Then begin
feeding the cable through to the under hood area.  I found I could work the
inside and the under hood area by standing outside the car by the side of the
door pillar area.  You may have the vent window installed, I did not and you
are working with a GT, I was not, so you will have to find a comfortable
position that allows you access to both areas.

You want to be able to lean over the fender and see the under hood area and
then lean into the car to see what you are working with. Use the left hand to
feed the wire into the hole and the right hand to pull it through.  I hope you
get the idea.

Good luck, been there done that and I'm glad it's over!

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **

1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1973 MGB;1976 MGB;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.