tire size

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tire size
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 23:57:58 +0100
While perusing my dog eared copy of Robert Bentley's "The Complete Official
Sprite / Midget 1967-1974" I noticed that the specified tire size for
radials on these cars are 145SR-13. The PO had mounted 155SR-13. I know
that this throws the speedo off, but in which direction? Am I going faster
than the speedo says or slower? Im guessing slower, but math was never my
strongest area.

Are there other advantages/disadvantages to running larger tires? Better
gas milage? Worse gas milage? Smoother ride? etc.  I haven't seen 145SR-13
anywhere in my travels through the tire places. Does anyone know if this
size tire is still available? I just checked British Wire Wheel and they
don't even carry them, the 155's are the smallest they stock.

Any help, guidance, answers, donations will be greatly appreciated and
karmically rewarded.

Thanks

Robert Weeks
Durham NC