Re: Synthetic Oil with Overdrive?

To: mgs
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil with Overdrive?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:08:37 -0600 (MDT)
      Which begs the question of how much you paid for it. The only price
      I've seen for Redline MTL is $9.50 a quart from Summit.

Yikes.  Saw this while cleaning up the digest and sending out another
issue.  The Fat Chance Garage has Redline MTL in stock now, $7.00 per quart,
plus shipping.  See the Monster List for more details about FCG, or send
email to fcg@autox.team.net, and I'll eventually get around to answering it!

While some folks have used either MTL or MT-90 in gearboxes with Laycock
overdrives, the Redline synthetics in this weight may, in hot weather after
an hour or so of driving, fail to provide enough hydraulic pressure to
keep the OD engaged.  This has only happened to one person I know of.

Someday I'll test some Redline 75W140NS, a non-sulfer gear oil that is
thicker, and should work better as hydraulic fluid than the MTL, and still
provide the high temp shear stability and film strength of a synthetic.

mjb.