Fuel Leak from Jets, 70 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Leak from Jets, 70 MGB
From: Michael.Lytton@sierra.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 15:12:23 PST
     First, a little background since we are talking about carbs:

     I have an early 1970 MGB (CA emissions) that has the largish external
     float chambers. Small metal tags affixed to the chambers indicate they
     are AUD 325AR carbs.

     Anyway, I just noticed a small gas leak on the underside of the float
     chambers/carbs.  There is a small plastic tube which runs from the
     float chamber to the jet at the bottom of the carb.  This plastic tube
     is covered with a tightly-wound metal spring which I assume is to
     protect it from engine heat.  Somewhere this gadget leaks.

     Questions:

     1.  Judging from the fact that it is a plastic tube close to a heat
     source, I would think this would be a common failure point for these
     carbs.  Has anyone else had this problem?

     2.  I have no experience working on these carbs.  If I remove the jet
     but manage to leave the jet locking nut alone, will I screw up the
     mixture when I put the new/fixed jet assembly in?  My knees get wobbly
     when I think of having to balance/tune these carbs...<g>

     3.  Do I have to replace the entire jet assembly, or can I just
     replace the tube somehow?

     Thanks for your time!

     Michael Lytton
     1970 MGB