Re: TD Brake Lights Out!

To: rdwilt@pol.net
Subject: Re: TD Brake Lights Out!
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 01:30:40 -0400 (EDT)

<< After a quick 9 holes at the local links, I was on my way home when the
 car beside me says "Hey, nice car! Do you know you don't have brake
 lights?" Argggg!!!  I have turn signals, running lights, and all other
 accessories work fine. I checked/cleaned the ground by the left rear
 damper. I think the brake light switch gave up the ghost. Anyone know
 how to test it or do you just ASSUME that's the problem at this point
 and get a new one?
 (Can I get one locally?)
 Thanks in advance!
 Roger
 51 TD
 Columbus Ohio

Roger,

I think the easiest way to check the switch is to short the two terminals
together (which is what the switch does when activated) and see if the
brake lights come on. If it doesn't come on, the trouble must be else
where. A wire with alligator clips on both ends is handy for this purpose,
but you could do it with a screwdriver or pair of pliers if a second person
watches the lights for you. BTW, my schematic shows that the ignition
needs to be on to power the brake lights.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - still in shop 23 months and counting AMGBA #96-12029