Re: T-Register Gathering in Binghampton, NY

To: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: T-Register Gathering in Binghampton, NY
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:09:18 -0400
At 05:41 PM 9/28/97 +0000, Dave Houser wrote:
>Just got back from the T-register gathering held this weekend up in
>Binghampton, NY with my 53 TD. Great weekend and for a pleasant change a
>very large turnout for our fall meet. The Featured car was the Y-type
>and there was a total of 19 YA's, YT's and YB's.
>All very nice examples and they came from all over the country,including
>Colorado and New Mexico. One of the best things about the weekend was
>seeing some old friends who hadn't been out with their cars for many
>years.
>
>One of the things mentioned at the dinner was the Safety Fast test that
>the T-Register had open to all other MG marques at Indy. It was very
>successful. The register has a tow-along portable lift that is used to
>run an inspection safety check on all systems on and under the car. I'd
>certainly like to see my A and B's go through it at our meets. This
>weekend I wanted to just have my driveshaft looked at for that scuttle
>shake problem I mentioned to all and Rick Smith said let's check
>everything since we're here. Good thing! My rear brake line was almost
>worn through where it had been rubbing on the screen storage box behind
>the rear end. I had replaced the rear with the 4.3 MGA gears and had
>that line too close for full suspension travel. Made it home sweating,
>but ali
>Got home using the brakes very gently and plan to order the necessary
>parts tomorrow. Mine was not the most serious problem they found, I'll
>let Mike tell you about that.
>
>Check those cars frequently, you never know what's happening under
>there,
>Dave Houser

  I agree Dave, a great weekend, but crazy weather. Cold as could be in the
morning (Had to buy an extra sweat shirt from Jim Pesta to stay warm,) yet
by noon, it was sunny and in the 70's.

One point missed was the auction. Back in the mid 70's, British Leyland
commissioned two drawings of the history of MG and history of Triumph.
These huge collages of the models were reproduced on posters . BL paid
$5,000 for each. The two originals were auctioned off at the Gathering on
Thursday night. One bidder was on the telephone from California. The
Register was hoping that they would sell for at least a thousand. Well the
MG collage sold for $2400, the Triumph for $500. It was really exciting. I
guess MGs are more valuable (or few Triumph nuts attend NEMGTR GOFs)

As to Safety Fast, I brought my 53YB. I always drive the TF to Gatherings,
but since the Y types were the featured car, I drove the YB. I have had the
car for 15 years, and it is not show but presentable. I have never been on
an extended trip in it. I replaced the master cylinder and a leaking right
rear cylinder before I left. Everything else seemed fine.

By the time I arrived, the header pipe separated from the exhaust manifold,
the speedo quit, the rear left brake cylinder started to leak, the fuel
line from pump to carb sprung a big leak,  the carb began to drip under the
jet, and after I arrived the starter gave out (had never given any symptoms
 of problems before)

We fixed the fuel line from a spare someone had and did the rally and tour
on Friday in this condition. (Had to push start or roll down hill at each
location) On Friday afternoon, found a small non franchise muffler shop,
where they found a gasket to fit the head pipe and fixed me up. They
refused to charge me!

One of our Canadian friend had a spare TD starter, and Rick Smith with Paul
Allen installed the sucker using the Safety Fast Lift.

Since the car was up on the lift they did a Safety Fast inspection even
though I didn't want to know!  The car got 65 points where 15 is failing.
30 points were for the fuel leak and rear brake cylinder. They pointed out
that a rear shock was leaking. This really amazed me since I couldn't
believe that any of the shocks had any fluid left in them to leak.

In any event, the carb drip was fixed by Rob Medynsky in five minutes using
a graphite cork ring from a Joe Curto rebuild kit. (Rob insists the
graphite cork is best as long as you soak them for awhile in oil)

I topped up the master cylinder and drove home with the leaking rear wheel
cylinder, as I didn't want to get involved with this in the parking lot.
(two people offered me spares for the replacement cylinder)
 On the way home the speedo healed itself, and the gas gage which had never
worked, healed itself (the float must have broken free on a good bump)

Once home, I replaced the rear cylinder, and the car is better than ever,

Moral to this story is don't be afraid to drive your car to a Gathering, as
there are always parts and helping hands to make the car better than it
was. (and the labor rate is terrific!)

Mike