Re: Windshield washer switch.

To: Phil Farmer <swimmer@seark.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield washer switch.
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:23:17 -0500
Phil Farmer wrote:

> I have a 1980 MGB.  The original pump for the windsheild washer was shot.
> Working on replacing it with new pump.

Been there, done that.  Bought a generic of about the same size at Pep
Boys.  Mounted to the same mount as the original, can't really tell the
difference.

> Have traced down that switch in on column is apparently not
> making contact to complete circuit to ground.  Any
> suggestions before I get into pulling steering wheel?

I mounted a small, momentary button switch in a hole on the bottom edge
of the dash where it turns horizontal.  This is on the right side of the
column, to the left of the console.  The button was black, and due to
the location, the switch couldn't be seen unless you had your head below
the dash.  Ran it this way for about 6 months, until the wiper part of
the switch went away, and I had to buy a new one.  Then I returned the
operation of the washer to the push button on the stalk.

> Is this switch repairable?

No, not at all.  At least, I tried on my '79.  Gave up, bought a new
one.  Then tried disassembling the old one.  Totally destroyed it in the
process.

> Is there something in particular I should look for?

Just make sure the switch is truly bad.  Locate the wire coming into the
switch and ground it.  If the pump now works, then the switch has
failed.

> Should I order and receive a new switch and have ready to replace?

Unless the wiper part fails, and you do need to replace it.  These
things aren't cheap!

--
Wayne Kube
Plano, TX