Chronometric Instruments

To: British-Cars-Pre-War@Autox.Team.Net (All)
Subject: Chronometric Instruments
From: cederstrand@earthlink.net (Carl Cederstrand)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 22:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
Gentlemen,

        I seek the answers to two questions concerning Jaeger Chronometric
Instruments.  If any pre-war necromancers or MG gurus have a ghost of a
suggestion as to who I might contact, I would be most grateful.  My
questions are:

(1)     Does anyone know the whereabouts of the original engineering
drawings for the Jaeger Chronometric Movements?
        The Automotive Instrument Division of Smiths, (which included
British Jaeger) has experienced three corporate buy-outs and their current
owner (Caerbont) has no knowledge of the whereabouts of the chronometric
drawings or if the drawings still exist.  Though I can generate acceptable
engineering drawings with retrieved dimensions, (via micrometer and optical
comparator), the original drawings with tolerances would be nicer.

        Why do I want drawings?  I intend to the manufacture of those
chronometric parts that are prone to wear.  Yes, I would be pleased to
provide these parts at cost to other enthusiasts.  No, I am not remotely
interested in going into business.  To the best of my knowledge, there are
no suppliers of individual parts for chronometric movements.

(2)     Can anyone identify the screw thread system employed on the screw
fasteners in these chronometric movements?
        It is metric.  Unfortunately, it is not listed in any of my thread
tables.  It is not: (a) French 50-Deg. Horological, (b) French 60-Deg.
Horological, (c) Progress Metric, (d) B.A., or (e) Swiss Horological.  I
suspect that these Jaeger threads are an in-house thread system employed by
Jaeger de Paris at the turn of the century.  When Jaeger started
manufacturing chronometric instruments in Willesden, England in 1925(?),
this thread system would have tagged along on the engineering drawings and
with the production expertise.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received.  The jewel of La Belle
=C9poque was not Vincent Van Gogh or any of the other paint splashers but
rather that unknown French designer who conceptualized and developed the
Jaeger Chronometric Movement - "It was new; it was singular; it was
simple".

Thank you, Carl Cederstrand / Brea, California
Telephone no. (714) 529-5646