Erratic Starting MGB, now it starts.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Erratic Starting MGB, now it starts.
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:29:00 -0600
Hello list,  I wrote this once before but I don't think it ever made it
to the list.

You may remember that I have had trouble starting my B.  Sometimes it
starts great, sometimes it just clicks, and sometimes nothing.  I posted
a "help" message and got many replies (thanks Bob, Bob, Joel, John, and
Chris).  I had tried everything, new battery, new wires, cables, polish
all connections, check ignition switch, even a  new starter/solenoid,
etc.

Bob Allen even suggested I  "might park your wiring diagram atop the
toilet tank for a few days",  that didn't help; but I am a bit more
regular now.  Thanks Bob.

I posted my "help" request to the list after I installed the new Genuine
Lucas Factory Rebuild starter with solenoid (that's spelled
e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e), I didn't want any cheap rebuild!  I was convinced the
starter was the problem in the first place but the new starter produced
the same symptoms as the old one.  That's why I went through the whole
starting system looking for other problems, but everything kept pointing
to the solenoid.  So I hauled the new rebuilt starter/solenoid back to
the parts store for another one (yes, some of you suggested this but I'm
a slow learner).  I installed it and the problem went away.  Hooray!

Moral:  New/rebuilt parts don't necessarily work!

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas