Spitting up oil?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitting up oil?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 01:06:23 +0000
What are the causes of oil spitting up through the vent hole in the
oil filler cap?  I've only noticed it since getting the engine
rebuilt, so I'm suspecting it has to do everything being tighter now.

        Here's the pertinent info:
Rebuilt engine/head (new exhaust valves/seats + resurfaced head)

Brit-Tek polished aluminum valve cover. (No port for charcoal
canister)

Front tappet chest port routed to air filter.

VB high-flow oil pump and uprated relief spring (about 60psi hot
idle)

No air pump.

If I sit there and watch it, it's not actually "spitting out oil",
but if I go for a drive and come back, there's a trail of oil from
the vent hole leading to a small puddle in the fins of the cover and
running down the cover.
Any tips appreciated.

Scott
gardner@lwcomm.com
P.S.  I've recently spent a lot of time on USENET researching my new
motorcycle, and have decided that we are truly blessed with the
people we have posting here, and have no reason to bitch about the
occasional flame or off-topic post.  On our worst day, we could still
set the example for improved USENET manners.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner