Flickering oil light

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Flickering oil light
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 12:08:16 EDT
Miss Molly, my '79 Midget has developed the habit of flickering her oil
light at me under these conditions:

* A hot engine (after she's ran for a half-hour to forty-five minutes, no
over heating occurs).

* When she's decelerating (coming down from a higher idle under load).
This doesn't happen from fourth to third or third to second, but
generally from second to first, or when I decelerate to a come to a stop.

* At lower idle speed (anything under 1200 to 1300).

* Also, occasionally, when she is coming down hills (not steep).

If I depress the throttle to bring the engine speed up (above 1200-1300),
the light goes and stays off.

About 2000 miles ago, I went through her engine and replaced rods, rings,
rod and main bearings, lifters, and gaskets.  The oil is full, and new
(just changed it again last week).  I use Valvoline 20W50HP Racing in
her.  The oil filter is mounted directly to the block as the location
adaptor was removed when at some point in the past the air pump fell off;
the filter is not the stock number, but is of the same design and
pressure listing.

My guess is that the oil pump has simply worn out, and when the viscosity
of the oil thins due to heat, the pump develops low pressure at a low
idle.

Can someone can offer a different explanation than that I have come to;
ie, that her oil pump has bailed and needs replacing?  And if I need to
replace the pump, can I do it with the engine in the car?  Any temporary
fix ideas would be welcome also.

Thanks!

Rich