Re: Starter Rebellion...

To: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Subject: Re: Starter Rebellion...
From: Brian & Patricia LaVoie <BPLAVOIE@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 20:47:02 -0700
Wizzrd1001@aol.com wrote:

> Needless to say, it didn't start, but, after tapping the solenoid with > the
>trusty hammer and wood, and wiggling the one wire (white/brown) > that connect
>on the front, it starts, but, I think only b/c my very > goodlooking
>girlfriend turned the key.
> Then, today, whilst supposedly at church(but really at Border's) It > >
>decides not to start again, so, I tap it, and I wiggle it, nothing, > > then,
>I turn on the fan and try it, well what the..it starts!! What's > > up with
>that??
> Could it be temp. maybe? Or bad connection? I've noticed the wires from
> the coil get REALLY hot when I do it, but not from the starter relay. > >
>And, if it doesn't start, and I tap it, and wiggle it, and nothing > >
>happens, and I let it sit for a bout 20 min. it starts right up!! Dead > spot
>maybe? Has this happened to anyone else??

Is your distributer the points-less integrated amplifier type? I had a
'75 Midget that would start right up and run fine until it warmed up.
Then, if I turned it off, I would have to wait 20 minutes to a half-hour
for the engine to cool down before it would start again. Once I replaced
the distributer with an earlier points unit, the problem was gone.
Apparently this is a common problem with the early inegrated amplifier
distributers, which often failed when they warmed up (or so I've been
told by folks in my local club).

Brian LaVoie
'74 B