Re: Marina question

To: Eardley Bryan <ewh.bryan@ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Marina question
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:17:33 -0600
>"Does anyone know if the automatic trans from an Austin Marina with the 1800
>B engine will fit a MGB?  I need an auto trans so a disabled club member can
>keep his B and not go to a M****.  Any info on the diff gears fitting a B?
>I have located the Austin but need guidance."
>
>I have a Haynes Manual for the Morris Ital (late version Marina):
>
>The automatic gearbox was a Borg Warner model 65
>
>Gear ratios:
>1st             2.39:1
>2nd             1.45:1
>3rd             1.00:1
>Reverse         2.09:1
>
>I don't know if this is the same gearbox as the Austin Marina.
>
>Eardley Bryan
>
>Driver of repatriated '68 B GT (daily driver)

Can't tell you about the Marina gearbox, but I can tell you about the
originally fitted MGB automatic gearbox.  I looked this up in the Original
MGB - page 86.  Very few MGB's came to the US with one, almost all of them
were sold in England and Australia.  The trans in the B was a Borg-Warner
type 35 three-speed epicyclic unit, coupled to a hydraulic fluid torque
converter. They have a prefix code of 23EA on the box.  The MGC used the
same box, but it said 17EA.  There is a whole page and a half of information
on this in The Original MGB.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB