Re: MGB valve adjustment

To: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>, "Tyson Sherman" <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: MGB valve adjustment
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:24:55 -0400
Tyson Sherman wrote:   How quiet should the valve train be?

Robert Allen replied:

  > Hey, Tyson, what a hoot! You may now have them exactly right. They are
> _supposed_ to make noise! It is not uncommon to lose valve clearence. I
> think it is called valve recession. What's happening is your valve seat
> is getting eaten away, the valve moves up inside the head a little, and
> you lose the valve clearence.
>
> BTW -- The valve seat is being eaten away becase your driving the damn
> engine too hard. Good for you! Most of the Triumph weanies seem to use a
> lead substitute to protect the valve seats.
>
> --

Hmm...isn't this sort of backward?  The clatter is caused by the rockers
tapping against the valve stem.  The more clearance there is between the
rocker and valve, the louder the clatter.  If you remove all the clearance
(by valve seat recession or adjustment of the valves), there is no clatter,
but then the valves are too tight and subject to burning, yes?
I think a little clatter is better than none.

Steve Byers