Re: Windscreen wiper wheelbox wrench

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Windscreen wiper wheelbox wrench
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 15 Oct 1997 08:56:54 -0500
In <m0xLTfw-000C8qC@maple.cns.net>, Jerry K wrote:
>Help  !!!
>
>I am in the process of striping down my second B for total rebuild and have
>again run into the problem of getting the eight sided nuts off from the
>wiper wheelbox.
>Does anyone know of (and where to get) a ~3/4 eight sided (not eight point)
>wrench to fit this little nut?  I either tend to strip the corners or split
>the nut when I use a standard open end wrench.  What's the trick?

The wiper box is made out of potmetal and corrodes badly, freezing the
nut on the shaft.  In my experience you will round the nut and booger
(that's a technical term, read the book) the threads on the box if you
try to wrench it off. Use a nutcracker to bust the nut and buy new
ones (readily available).

                                A. B. Bonds