RE: weak starter - Final (?) report

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: weak starter - Final (?) report
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:58:33 -0400
My last "final" report on this was premature, but I believe that
I have now solved the problem.

My original problem was that the starter on my '80 MGB, was very
sluggish, acting as though I had a weak battery.  The battery was
new, but just as a sanity test, I swapped batteries with my Healey
which had a known good battery.  Next, I replaced the clamp on
the postive terminal and cleaned up both battery posts and the
ground connection.

When I checked the mounting bolts on the starter, I found that the
front cover was loose.  I tightened the long screws which hold this
on, and thought that I had solved the problem.  The next cold morning,
however, the problem resurfaced.

Acting on the suggestion of someone from this list, I checked the
voltage drop between the postive battery terminal and corresponding
terminal on the solenoid.  I measured a drop of about 0.25 volts.
I got a similar value between the negative terminal and the
case on the starter.

As a final test, I checked the voltage drop from battery positive to
the downstream side of the solenoid.  Again I got about 0.25 volts.

While doing all of this I had, out of habit, reseated the spade connector
for the wire which connects the solenoid to the starter relay.  Now,
when I went to restart the car, the starter cranked with its usual
enthusiasm.  Two days later, the problem has not resurfaced when I
started the car in the morning.

So my conclusion is that I may have had just
a small bit of corrosion on the connector that I reseated and that
the solenoid itself was not making a good connection.

I have my fingers crossed.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net