Dumb Procedure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mglist)
Subject: Dumb Procedure
From: JMerz140@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 11:51:40 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Listers,
I did a dumb thing and thought I's share it with you to help prevent similar
recurrences.
After finding the float bowl cover cap nut binding on a pair of S.U.s, I had
the wizard idea of putting just a light smear of anti-seize compound on the
threaded stud in the float bowls as I reassembled them.  In case you don't
know what the compound is, it is a grease like substance intended for use on
spark plugs to keep them from binding themselves in the head.  It works as
intended in that application.  Anyway, when this stuff is mixed with fuel, it
gets sticky it turns out.
I developed a problem in one carburetor with the float valve sticking open
and dumping fuel out the overflow line.  A tap or two on the float cover
always temporarily solved my problem.  I discovered that the anti-seize had
apparently run down the stud in the center of the bowl probalbly due to the
heat of engine operation.  In the process, the now sticky stuff  ever so
slightly bound up the pefectly good float from rising as it usually does and
allowed the float valve to remain open and gasoline flowed out the overflow
line.  A thorough cleaning with laquer thinner cleaned up my mess and the
carbs work as intended.  Nuff sed!   Jim