Re: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 02:55:24 +0000

> << All this still leaves me puzzled as to the cause of the second
>  bearing failure.  I would think even 55 psi would be enough to
>  keep the engine happy at 4200 rpm.
>  Scott
>   >>
> It should be enough pressure!  Does a bearing even know or care how much
> pressure is behind the oil?  It just wants a continuous supply for the entire
> surface area.  My $.03 worth.
> Tom Green
> 1979 MGB

Tom,
        I would think that SOME pressure would be necessary.  What I'm
currently wondering is whether the bearings could be completely
starved for oil due to a blockage, and it not show up accurately on
the gauge.
        I'm a little fuzzy on the path the oil takes through the engine,
pump and cooler.  If the relief valve was opening early and staying
open, could the crank bearings lose their oil supply while the gauge
still shows pressure?
Scott