[Fwd: Calling in favors]

To: MGs List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: Calling in favors]
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:33:04 -0500
--------------D7C97C4828359C2D73B0281B

From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
 by x7.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id UBS20265; Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:11:37 EDT
To: boballen@sky.net
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:08:15 -0500
Subject: Calling in favors

Bob:

My regular ISP is dead.  Could you do me a favor and forward this to
mgs@autox.team.net for me?

Next time I'm in KC I'll slip the clutch and 'let' you win.

Thomas

Begin Forward  ------------------

My friend Jim owns a 1979 MGB.  He has long coveted my chrome bumpered,
un-smogged, more powerful 1970.  I caught up with Jim last weekend and
we went to a dead end road to drag race.

I drove his car and he mine, and I smoked him 7 times.  Jim was astounded
that his less powerful car was able to beat my more able B.  We got into
our own cars, and raced again.

Much to my dismay, Jim and his late model B easily beat me.

I chalked it up to the less powerful Weber DGV that I hung on my engine,
but Jim was quick to point out that he had the exact same carb.  I drove
home shamefully, vowing to return my car to its former glory, replete
with SU carbs.

Instead, today I rechecked the float level on my DGV.  Actually, I spent
45 minutes making sure the float was dead-on at 39.0 mm.

The results were amazing.  Before, my car ran out of steam at around
4700 rpm.  Now, it pulls *strongly* all the way to redline, and the
annoying off-idle hesitation is gone.

It is imperative that the float level is set exactly at 39.0 mm.  I
checked myself 4 times before I put the carb back together.

Of course, I already scheduled a rematch.  We're gonna stop at the Hub
City drag strip Novemebr 1st before we drive to the Mobile All British
Car Show.  Long live the King.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu