Re: Need distributor springs

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Need distributor springs
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:12:30 -0500
John Middlesworth wrote:

> I need a pair of springs for the weights in my 25D distributor (out of a
> 72 MGB).  How did I stretch them?  By trying to pull the cam upward
> without first disconnecting the springs.  Read instructions as a last
> resort--that got me in trouble.

Well, I've been there just recently on the TR6. You were able to stretch the
springs beyond servicable by merely pulling on the distributor cam? I'm
impressed. The little buggers seem pretty stout.

> New springs are unavailable so I was hoping someone out there might have a
> distributor that is mostly junk that they can raid for the springs.
> Please e-mail me.

I've heard "springs is springs" from this list. Maybe Napa or some other
intelligently-manned auto parts house would understand the term "distributor
mechanical advance springs." Maybe not.

BTW -- they are supposed to be two different spring tensions. Maybe you can
spec a new one by length and coil count. Dunno fursure.

> The reason I think mine are ruined is that I can turn the dist about 30
> degrees one way or another without affecting engine speed.  Could there be
> another source of this problem besides the weights?

I'll have to assume you're doing this at idle. I can't imagine any other way.
And if you can swing the distributor that far with no idle change, I'd suspect
your car is liquid-cooled -- with fuel. Carbs running a little rich?

Do you have any vacuum/smog taps left on the intake manifold? If you pull one
does the vacuum leak then increase idle? Too rich, if so.

In any case, at idle, the mechanical advance ain't doing anything. At least it
isn't supposed to. Do you have a timing light that has adjustable advance?
This could tell the tale. I bought mine from J.C.Whitney and was real happy
with it until I fed it to the fan belts.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"An extrovert computer programmer? One who talks while staring at YOUR shoes."