Re: B tire pressures, today!

To: Lawrie@britcars.com (Lawrie Alexander)
Subject: Re: B tire pressures, today!
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 12:13:30 -0400
Lawrie,

I partly agree with you, but I disagree on two points:

Some of these cars were built before radial tires came into common
usage, but people are running radials on them now.  The auto
manufacturer's original recommended pressure (for cross-ply tires) would
not apply to radials.  My Midget, fortunately, was built when both were
in common usage and the driver's manual gives pressures for both types
of tires.  Although I don't have the manual for a car built in the early
60's, I would assume (looking for trouble there) that they do not give
recommendations for radial tires.  If I'm wrong, and they do, then of
course, that would be the recommendation to follow.  Many owners,
however, are not running the original style tires, whether they are of
different construction, or a different size.  These people can't go by
the advice in the owner's manual, and it's not like they can call the
factory and ask.  Where can they turn?  To the tire manufacturer.  There
is no other choice.

The other point is minor - It depends whether you are willing to
sacrifice tire longevity for performance.  As I said before, your style
of driving does matter.  Some of us, I think, are driving and enjoying
our LBCs and trying to do it on a budget.  We'd rather have long-lasting
tires than be able to take sharp corners at 50 mph.  If you're racing or
autocrossing, of course, that's different.  Personally, I want my tires
to last, because the correct size was hard enough to find in the first
place.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort