Re: Dash dimmer (technical)

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: Dash dimmer (technical)
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:38:27 -0800
At 01:46 PM 10/27/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Well, not quite.  The reason that house-type dimmers can be made
>so cheaply is due to the use of AC.  Neither triacs nor SCRs work with
>DC, unless it is pulsating DC.  To make this kind of dimmer for
>your dash you need a timing circuit, power switchers, SCR and a gating
>circuit.  It would be efficient (fairly low heat) but complex.  I just
>jumper my dash dimmer out of the circuit.  The instruments are barely
>legible in that case and I can't imagine wanting them lit more
>dimly....

You're right of course.  I was thinking ahead while I typed and
inadvertantly typed my thoughts (!?)

As I posted to the list as soon as I thought a bit about what I'd typed I
meant a power transistor.  While driving this afternoon it occured to me
that replacing all the dash lamps with the 7.5V jobs from RS and installing
a transistor controlled dimmer circuit, the dash lamps could be controlled
from dark to very bright. The dash dimmer could be replaced with a "cheap as
dirt" pot and the stock knob stuck onto the shaft for original appearance.

Cheers,
  Ross MacPherson
 1947 MG-TC 3528
 1966 MGB-GT