Re: A Thank You and Another Question

To: Wake@csolution.com
Subject: Re: A Thank You and Another Question
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 05:31:59 EST
Glenn,

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:41:28 -0600 Glenn Wakefield <Wake@csolution.com>
writes:

>..... I decided I would bleed the clutch. .....
>
>The problem is I can't get the system to bleed.  I have tried pulling
the fluid with my Mighty Vac, as well as the old fashion pumping method.
For some reason the fluid level does not change in the reservior.  What
am I missing here?

We understand.  Bleeding the clutch line on an MG can be a royal pain in
the posterior.  On occasion, the only thing I could make work was a
pressure bleeder.  The idea is to pressurize the reservoir of the master
cylinder, then open the bleed fitting and watch the fluid and air get
ejected quickly with the pressure.

Gunson's Eezi-bleed is the common unit available commercially.  Some
people swear by it, and some people swear at it.  The biggest problem is
to be sure you have a pressure tight seal on the master cylinder cover.
The unit includes a large fluid bottle in line with the pressure hose
before the M/C reservoir so that you can bleed all the hydraulics in the
whole car without stopping to add fluid to the reservoir.  It also has an
air check to tap air pressure from the tire valve on your car.  Somewhere
on the web you can find instructions on how to build your own pressure
bleeder.  If you find the Eezi-bleed to be too expensive for your budget,
just ask the list where to find those instructions.

Once upon a time in a dire emergency I was assisted in using a bicycle
pump to pressurize the reservoir while bleeding the clutch slave
cylinder.  Aside from requiring two people, and being a bit of a
spectacle in a public park, it worked just fine.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude