SU help, please

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU help, please
From: Jim Buckley <buckley@mesa5.mesa.colorado.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 08:54:16 -0700
I just put a SU HIF6 on a stock 1275 engine in my '70 Midget.  I would
appreciate any help you might have regarding:

1)  If this thing sets for a while, especially overnight, it takes forever
to get it started.  Since SU's don't have an accellerator pump, what (other
than the choke mechanism) helps them start?  Or is this just a typical
problem with SU's?

2)  When driving and letting off the gas, it does a lot of mild popping out
the exhaust.  Does this indicate too lean?  Too rich?
Any suggestions on the right needle for this combination (1275 and SU
HIF6).  I currently have a BAL in it, but THINK it is too lean.

3)  Once in a while - at about 1/2 or 2/3 throttle it does a single
backfire up through the carb.  Distributor?  Vacuum Advance?  ? ? ? ? ?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,    Jim