RE:Stromberg Carb Help?!?!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:Stromberg Carb Help?!?!
From: Alan Bidgood <bidgood.alan@ssd.loral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:43:25 -0800
Tom,

You seem to be at the exact same stage as I am, but I think I
may have been  fighting with it for longer.

I have a 1978 MGB Roadster, which looks pretty good, everything
is original.  I too have replaced wires, distrib cap, plugs, filters
etc. and
have reset the timing, it runs fairly well at speed, but whatever I do
with
the carb, I do not seem to be able to get it to idle smoothly.  Also I
live in
California and I am convinced it will not pass the Smog test.

The only thing I can offer relative to your problems is:

Mine used to run-on or backfire when I switched it off.  I replaced all
the
various hoses from the valve cover to the carb/manifold and the ones to
the charcoal cannisters etc. and made sure all the vacuum lines and
fixtures
were all good.  Well it doesn't run-on or backfire anymore, it doesn't
idle any
better though.  I can only think there was some sort of leak associated
with
the anti-runon valve just in front of the washer reservoir.

Just a thought, or perhaps your valve is faulty?

Anyway please let me know if you learn any more with respect to that
'Damn Zenith' Carb.

                                                Bye for now,

Alan B.'