Re: Limited Power?

To: root@yeah.indstate.edu
Subject: Re: Limited Power?
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:33:09 -0500 (EST)

> A small problem with my '73 MGB.  Someone before me has installed a
>  not-exactly-new Pioneer (one of those SuperTunerIIIs with the cassette)
>  and a couple of 100W 6x9s 3-ways behind the seat (luckily, they were smart
>  enough to buy the self-contained version (maybe made for trucks?) of those
>  speakers and so didn't have to cut anything to install them, they just sat
>  them in the back.)
>
>  Well, the relatively-simple setup sounds great, but my hypothesis is that
>  maybe it was wired incorrectly when installed or that it is simply too
>  much load for the current wiring setup. I'll explain: it seems
>  that the circuit for 'constant-power' is either shorted out or way
>  overloaded.  All the things that should run regardless of ignition
>  position don't work, such as: the highbeam flasher (high-lo still works,
>  just the flasher doesn't), the dashboard "courtesy light" (over the
>  radio), the seatbelt/door buzzer (probably a blessing), the horns, the
>  cigarette lighter, and the radio's own internal 'contant power' circuit
>  also seems to be either unhooked or not in this circuit as it looses its
>  memory presets every time the car is switched off long enough to empty its
>  capacitors.
>
>  I tracked the problem to a blown fuse in the box under the hood. I
>  replaced the fuse with a new one...it promptly blew out.  I switched off
>  the ignition and removed the key and repeated both steps (add new fuse,
>  watch as fuse frys instantly.)  Both fuses were 20A...I was afraid of
>  sticking larger in there for fear of damaging wiring.
>
>  My question, I guess, is if anyone has any insights on this.  Should I go
>  with a much larger fuse? (30A? bigger still?) Does this sound like a
>  problem that the addition of a mere radio would cause?  Suggestions?

Neil:

The radio itself would draw no more that 2 amp at sane volume levels or
6 amps at insane levels. I am not familiar with this particular model, but
most designs today draw power from the battery line (constant-power
circuit) rather than the ignition line.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - finally home after 2 years in shop, AMGBA #96-12029