Help!!! Small engine repair 100 NO LBC Content

To: "MG LIST" <MGS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Help!!! Small engine repair 100 NO LBC Content
From: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:32:33 -0500
OK folks, the last time I asked about this I thought I had the problem
solved but no such luck.  The engine is a Tecumseh HS50 (5hp) on a MTD
snowblower.  The problem: will not start, or at least will not stay running.
What I have done: Taken the carb apart and cleaned it really well, including
running a wire up the main jet.  Changed the fuel in the tank (used fresh
right out of the pump). Current problem: I can get the engine to start with
the choke on full and my finger covering the carb (furhter restricting air
flow) it will run for a minute or so and then die.  If I remove my finger
from the carb it will die, if I open the choke up more than half way it will
die (finger still covering carb).  I have also played around with the
adjustment screq that is located on the side of the carb just above the
bowl, this has made no difference in the function.
I have ordered a rebuild kit for the carb, will be in on Tuesday and I will
install Tuesday night.

My thought is that there is an air leak somewhere?  Otherwise placing my
finger over the carb opening would kill the engine not alow it to run?

It's amazing that I can keep the MG running 365 days a year, but this little
5hp thing has got me stumped!!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated....I'm thankful this Northeaster we had
didn't dump on my little part of the Northeast much more than 3" of the
white stuff!!!!!

Safety Fast !!!
Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer MA