Overdrive conversion

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overdrive conversion
From: "JOHN MICHIE" <Michie-NASHVILLE@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:35:36 -0600
I have been following the MG web page for a number of months and have just
recently
figured out how to post a bulletin.

My problem:

I have recently purchased a 1967 MGB roadster, the car is project car that
the previous owner has started to convert to a newer four syncro
transmission. Yet to be completed is the speedometer hookup, the
transmission is in the car and operates(although the syncros do not appear
to work properly). The speedometer with the car is for an overdrive
transmission, and the transmission tunnel has some original "bumps" which I
assume were to accommodate an overdrive transmission.

My Question:

I have two ways to proceed from here, to complete the conversion, acquire a
non overdrive speedometer, cable, and speedometer elbow; or acquire a 1967
overdrive transmission and return the car to original condition. I am
presently inclined to return the car to original condition, I have located
a transmission but need to know what other parts I need. The list presently
is as follows 1. overdrive speedometer (I have) 2. overdrive speedometer
cable (I have) 3. overdrive cable elbow( don't have) 4. starter (not sure
about this, my starter is the newer type) 5. transmission mount (not sure
about this either my present mount is the one original to the car do not
know if overdrive transmission requires different mount) 6. drive shaft (
not sure, do not know how to measure mine to determine if it is the longer
overdrive drive shaft.

I would appreciate any advice as to which way to proceed and any other
parts that may be needed to return the car to original condition.

Thanks

Jim Michie
Nashville, Tennessee