Oh boy, power tools! (no MG)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oh boy, power tools! (no MG)
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:21:23 -0600
Last night on a pilgrimage to the Home Depot for suspended ceiling
supplies, I wondered into the power tool area to do a little dreaming.
What do I see right there in front of God and everyone?  The Ryobi rotary
tool 99 piece kit with variable speed on clearance for $17.00!  So I am now
the proud owner of a Dremel wanna be.  Sure it is last year's model but I
don't think the tail fins are that big ;-)

So I went home and showed my latest acquisition to the SO.  She was
impressed with my shopping acumen but still unconvinced to the absolute
need for such a device in the Eastman household.  I explained that,
although I could not come up with a use right at this second, that this was
the Swiss army knife of power tools and besides, compared to others in the
neighborhood, I was fairly power tool challenged (3/8 VSR drill, power
screwdriver, Shop Vac).

Now, my SO is a dear and long suffering woman who has realized, that if she
immediately gives into anything that I do, it just guarantees escalation of
effort along the same lines and, if she just agrees that the Ryobi is a
good deal, I will have a fully functional machine shop in the basement by
week's end.  She is also blessed with a quick mind, uncanny intuition, and
a razor like wit.  She immediately rattled off a list of dweeb neighbors
who drive Dodge Spirits or Yuppy sleds and couldn't recognize the business
end of a Posidrive or think that over head valves control the sprinkler
system.  She then listed off a few of my previous purchases that have
proven less than useful (none of which I can remember because I have
blocked them out of my mind).  Afterwards she admitted that she could see
how the ability to cut off small screws was at least theoretically useful
and that this purchase was not the stupidest thing that I had done lately.
That would have been wiring our new ventilation system hot because I was
too lazy to figure out what circuit breaker controlled the outlet in
question.  Hey, some people pay good money for shock therapy :-o  Once
again, natural selection takes a swing and misses.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA closely guarding all of its parts Dremel (or cheap knock off)
susceptible parts