Plug fouling

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Plug fouling
From: Bruce Pyle <pyle@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:57:04 -0600
A year ago I wrote about problems with plug fouling and got some helpful
answers, the most important was that I was probably runnning rich.  I've
lost that correspondence, but one of you said to keep the group advised.

I took the MGB to the shop I used and got various fix ups such as ignition
wiring and "adjustments" at very little expense; but I coninued to foul a
set of plugs per tank of gas.

I have a collector's license which kept me out of e-check until this month
when the rules changed. I didn't expect to pass and I didn't.  Loaded HC=400
vs 350 limit;CO=10.4 vs 4.0 Idle HC=1872 vs 350.  The shop adjusted the
Weber carb and got it to pass everything except the Loaded CO which was
still about twice the limit and it ran like a brain damaged turtle until it
warmed up.  Finally, they did what I had thought they should from early on.
They put in a factory rebuilt Weber ($85).  Now I have Loaded HC=92.7;
CO=3.67 Idle HC=165 CO=1.77.  And the car runs fine; and, of course, there
is no fouling. At least in Ohio you obviously don't necessarilyhave to have
original equipment to pass.

I know they were trying to do minimal things to keep the cost down, but I
would gladly have payed more to avoid a year's grief.  I'm also very content
with the Weber and glad I didn't succumb to the people who said "Throw it
away and get SU's." Also, though I don't put many miles on the MGB, I do
rather like the fact that it is not a gross polluter.
Foggy Corners (web page)
http://www.bright.net/~pyle