(*ON* TOPIC) Here I sit -- tales of woe

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: (*ON* TOPIC) Here I sit -- tales of woe
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 23:48:21 -0500
Well, my nemesis (78B) and I are at odds still.

I spent the better part of this afternoon trying to decypher my ignition
(or lack of) troubles. I pulled the Lucas ignition and distributor and
replaced them with the Lumenition module and dizzy that were in the box of
parts I got when I bought the car. Seems that the PO replaced the
Lumenition with the Lucas model, and something didn't work, and the car sat
for a year. He then sold it to me.

But I digress. So, logically, I figure that replacing the Lucas setup with
the Lumenition (that I have a feeling does work) would be the surest way to
rectify the situation. However, comparing my 78 to another 78 at my
mechanics I notice about 3/4 less wiring in the other car. My car has wires
running all over the place. So, figuring out where to connect everything is
a pain.

Maybe I should get to the point:

1) How loose should the distributor be? I can spin it clockwise and
counterclockwise about 45 degrees in either direction with relative ease.

2) How does the lumenition hook up? I have a wire from the brain to the
distributor, one to ground, one to the - side of the coil, and I have tried:

* + to + side of coil
* + to fusebox
* + to thing where the wire for the electric fans get their positive power
from. I can also hook both the Lumenition and the fans up to this connector
at the same time.

I have not tried the last, because my battery died from trying to crank it
too much.

There are so many weird electrical things going on in the MG. I cant find
the wires that connect to what I assume is the thermostat on the pass. side
of the radiator. There is also a green wire that connects to something
vaugely "bulb like" with the brand "Otter" on it. No one I have talked to
knows what that is.

There's also another wire with three OOO looking female connectors on it
soaked in oil just dangling by the oil filter. I have tried tracing the
wires back, but they get lost under the electrical tape and bundles of wires.

HELP! I am about to fling myself off a bridge (of course, the car goes
first...). Seriously, this is getting old, fast. It's been two weeks
already, and I still haven't gotten the bloody thing to run yet...

BEN RUSET
78 MGB Roadster (has seen better days)
89 Mercury Cougar (running again!)
Homepage - http://www.monomouth.com/~bruset
Saftey Fast! - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis
^^^ Note: Under construction, and taking submissions!