Re: Exercize (fwd)

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Exercize (fwd)
From: James Howard <jdh@sextans.lowell.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 16:30:02 -0700 (MST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Tom Buchanan wrote:

> A little exercize for you listers. If you were going to take a 3000 mile
> trip in your MGB, what parts would you take with you???

I have not yet taken a 3000 mile trip in my MGB.  I have taken a 2800 mile
trip, though!

Trip #1, Washington DC to Flagstaff, AZ, basically out I-40, in 4 days, in
my 72 MGB, in June, 1995.  I took all my camping gear, my AAA card, the
basic tools I carry every day, a complete ignition system, a gallon of
water, spare belts and hoses.  No problems at all, except for a flat tyre
in Tennessee.  2400 miles.

Trip #2, Washington DC to Flagstaff via New Orleans.  We took some back
roads in west Texas with signs like "No services, next 100 miles".
January, 1996, in my 66 MGB/GT, with my fiance.  We took basically the
same things, except no camping gear.  The heater core was plugged up, and
the door seals leaked, so we were cold sometimes, but it was not a major
problem, as the weather cooperated.  The only problem we had on that trip
was we could not get the low slung car over the entrance ramp for the
hotel we stayed at in N.O..  2800 miles in 10 days.

-However-, within a week of arriving in Flagstaff, the starter pinion
jammed to the flywheel, the battery cable between the two six volt
batteries chaffed a hole in it's jacket and grounded itself to the body,
and the fuel pump quit.

James Howard
Flagstaff, AZ