Re: Crankshaft nut

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:05:20 -0500
Hi Tyson:

As Nory says is her reply, you can buy large sockets in many machine tool
suppliers or you could ask a local garage where to contact a Snap-On
dealer, but the best solution is to try to borrow it.  There are auto parts
suppliers who will loan tools.  You could even rent it from a large rental
outfit.

As to removing it, simply put the socket on the wrench and if the end of
the wrench handle won't reach some part of the car use a snipe to slip over
the handle.  Place the wrench handle in such a position that it is resting
on some part of the left side of the engine compartment.  Then, hit the
starter button and watch the nut loosen.  It may take a couple of pushes of
the button but don't just hold it down.  It should come off easily unless
some DPO has welded it on.

When you put it back on simply jerk tighten it as much as you can.  The
tendency when the engine is running is for the nut to tighten so you
shouldn't have to worry about it coming loose.  Check it at first to be
sure that it hasn't loosened but it is unlikely.

John McEwen