SPOT WELDING

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SPOT WELDING
From: BRUCE PHILLIPS <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:32:41 -0500

        You may remember my request for help last week regarding "spot welding
without a spot welder" . Thanks to Brian , Larry , Vince & Steve I can tell
you that the sills are on , and the floor goes in this week.

        I took the advice and drilled a hole through the covering gusset plate
and
"plug welded" the hole circulating from the centre out to the edge. I used
a 1/4 " hole . My theory was that the larger the hole the easier it would
be to get to the base material and insure good penetration. It worked well
and I would rec commend it for beginners. Once welded very little grinding
was required to smooth the finish ready to accept the next panel. The
setting used on my welder was the one rec commended for the gauge of metal
that appeared on the welder.

        My advise for the beginner is to buy a mig welder, or at least a welder
that can be converted to mig. They work and are very easy to use. One piece
of advice I would give is to buy a good welding helmet. The one I had was
the "flip Up " lens type typically with a #10 shade in it. I simply found
it to dark once the shade was down to position the wire where I wanted it .
This caused missed welds and lots of grinding afterwards. I purchased a
variable shade automatic lens helmet on Friday and can say without
hesitation that it is the best money I have ever spent on my MG . The
confidante level of being able to see what your doing is immeasurable.

        Once again thanks o all for you help. Say what you want about list
contents and "off topic" threads, when you need help the list is there for
you.

BRUCE
64 ROADSTER
60 GT