Re: OSCA information

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: OSCA information
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:11:18 EST
Hi Mike,
 Here's some info from A History of Sports Cars, G.N.Georgano, Dutton,
NYC, 1970
 "The OSCA (Officine Spezialitata Costruzione Automobili) was founded by
the Maserati brothers after they left heir own firm in 1947.  Their first
product was a 1100cc sports car with single ohc with which Viloresi won
the 1948 Naples Grand Prix, followed by twin ohc machines in three sizes
for the 750cc, 1100cc, and 1500cc classes. They achieved class victories
at Le Mans and in the Mille Miglia, but their greatest sucess was the
outright victory in the 1954 Sebring 12 hour race.  A 1500cc car, driven
by Stirling Moss and Bill Lloyd, and entered by Briggs Cunningham, won at
73.65 mph, defeating much large Lancia and Austin-Healey cars. In 1959
OSCA produced a twin ohc version of the Fiat 1500 engine for use in a
Fiat sports model, and from then on their attention was turned to
"ameliorazioni" of Fiats. These included sports coupes with special
bodies which they sold under their own name, but mechanically they were
Fiats. "