Re: 52 MGTD extra condenser

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 52 MGTD extra condenser
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:27:02 -0500 (EST)

> Hi Rick:
>
>  The condenser you spotted might be a radio noise suppressant - if the car
>  has or had a radio.
>
>  John McEwen
>

>  >Hi pre-wariors,
>  >
>  >We after the last post I decided to break the silence.  I found an extra
>  >condenser installed on the fire-wall beside the coil.  It is not hooked
>  >up to anything.  It is on the left side of the auto, and looks real
>  >bad.  I checked to see if there was one inside the Dist. and yes it is
>  >in there.
>  >
>  >On the TD's did they install an extra one or was it too big to fit
>  >inside the Dist.  The wire looks like it is long enough to touch the CB
>  >side of the coil.
>  >
>  >I did install the new adapter for spin on filters today.  The post was
>  >so tight that I had to take apart half the fender to get enough room for
>  >a good size wrench to break it loose.  After that it went real smooth.
>  >You ask why was the rush, well It started out as a oil change.  After
>  >examining the used filter I found that the spring was missing inside the
>  >old filter assembly.  Looks like the P.O. didn't put it back.  I thought
>  >he knew how to change oil.  That's alright I've already changed it twice
>  >and didn't catch it.  I quess it show's what kind of mechanic I am, LOL.
>  >
>  >Rick
>  >
>  >52 MGTD, 74 MGB, XJ12C, & Puddles (60 Frogeye)
>  >

I  wonder why designers always put the condenser inside the distributor.
The two nodes the condenser hooks to are available back on the firewall.
I imagine it gets pretty hot inside the distributor, not good for electrical
components.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - finally home after 2 years in shop, AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR
#7-3336