Re: Clutch hydraulics (a wee bit long)

To: Michael Llorca <llorcam@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch hydraulics (a wee bit long)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:14:07 -0600
Michael Llorca wrote:

> I had a similar problem with my 72.  The fluid level was fine, no leaks.  I
> finally tracked it down to the spring inside the master cylinder.  It had
> snapped in half and the two halves spun themselves together.

My C/GT had the same problem. The master cylinder internal spring would cock a
little inside the cylinder and eventually wore itself in two. You'll discover
you can't buy the spring without a pricey master cylinder attached to it.

As I only seem to buy cheap tools, my solution was to go to the best local
hardware store and look through their miscellaneous spring selection. I found a
spring with the correct diameter and about the same number of coils per inch
but it was only half as long as it should be. So I bought two and stacked them
together inside the master cylinder.

I hope this DPO-type bodge will last until I can afford a new master cylinder
(or at least some Snap-On feeler gauges). That was three years ago and I still
haven't acquired enough extra coin (and I check the sofa cushions every week)
to buy the new master cylinder or to pick anything out from the Snap-On
catalog.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation."