Re: 74 MGB GT

To: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@preferred.com>
Subject: Re: 74 MGB GT
From: "John D. Perkins" <wrench@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:06:04 -0500
Tom Buchanan wrote:

> At 07:53 PM 11/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Rick Noll wrote:
> >>
> >> I am looking at a 1974 GT. I am looking for some advice on how to inspect
> >> the car and what is the current pricing for one in nice condition. The
> >> paint is good but I don't know how much plastic is on the body. From 10
> >> feet the car looks very nice. Chrome is good and it (according to the
> >> seller and title) has 65k miles on it. I am going to drive it Monday.
> >>
> >> I want to use this car as a daily driver. Any comments on using a GT as a
> >> daily driver would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >Rick,
> >I have been using my 74 GT as a daily driver since May.  Once I fixed
> >some carb related problems it has been running quite nicely.  I have had
> >no problem starting it, (12 degrees this morning).  A 190 degree
> >thermostat is a good idea if you live somewhere cold.  Also I think I am
> >going to have to change the oil to 10W40 as it takes a while for the oil
> >pressure to rise in the morning.
> >Good luck,
> >Simon
> >
> I'm having the same problem with low oil pressure on cold mornings (until
> it warms up). Any one have a notion what the problwm might be??
> Tom Buchanan
> buchanan@preferred.com
> http://www.preferred.com/~buchanan/mg.html
> 1974 MGB-GT
I was lucky enough to find the original owner's manual in my 1972
MGB-GT.  It has very specific recommendations about oil weights and
temperatures.  If you have an owner's manual, read it from cover to
cover.  If not let me know and I'll make a copy of the lubrication chart
for you.  By the way, I 've found over the years with my GT that if you
start the car and drive to the nearest 7-11 or QuikTrip for a cup of
coffee then shut it off.  By the time you get back in the car, the carbs
are warm enough to work and the oil pressure is stable.  I have been
running a 195 degree thermostat in the car at all times because it's
warmer in the winter and more easily passes our yearly smog checks in
the summer.