Smoke, Oil, & such question

To: Mike Cousins <mike.cousins@wsnelson.com>
Subject: Smoke, Oil, & such question
From: "Michael F. Adamson" <madamson@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:26:00 -0500
Mike wrote:
<<Ok, I have a 77 MGB with a lot of miles.  At startup and at idle I've
got smoke out of the exhaust.  Not billowing clouds, but you can see it
and smell it. However, I've got really good oil pressure - 75 psi (maybe
I need to check the guage?!?)......>>

You might want to check your gauge.  Does it stay at 75 psi even at idle?=
  =

<<.....and the smoke out of the exhaust stops at
higher revs and at cruising speed.>>

Probably not, although at lower revs you may be pulling oil around your
valve stems.  More than likely you just don't see the smoke as it is mixe=
with a high volume of exhaust gasses.

<<Am I burning oil ? If so, why does the smoke stop at higher speeds?>>

If the smoke is "blue" you're burning oil.

<<Should I use a high viscosity oil to try to "fix" the problem ?>>

What's the problem?  How much oil are you using?  Using "motor honey" is
not usually a good idea.  If you live where it is cold there is a lot of
strain on the starter and components turning the engine over.  Also, with=

the thicker oils there tends to be a lag in getting lubrication to the
various areas when they need it the most, on start up  .

<<The engine is really strong and I really dont want to yank it and
rebuild it (basically due to my finances).>>

Are you fouling plugs?  It sounds like it's running like a burglar.  What=
's
the problem?

<<Any suggestions / comments would be very appreciated>>

Mike, it is a lot easier to add oil than to yank and rebuild and engine. =

You can go broke slowly and still have a ride!

Regards,

Michael

'77 MGB