Re: Why an MG?

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why an MG?
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:28:35 -0500
Hi John:

I think that you are forgetting that most decent "new" cars cost at least
$20,000.  (I am using Cdn.dollar figures)  An MGB-equivalent is
unobtainable unless one buys a Miata which here in Canada can cost up to
$30k.  Restoration costs are high, so that the cost of properly restoring
an MG to "like-new" condition will easily exceed $6,000 - not including the
initial price of the car.

Ultimately, the price of any used car is determined just as the price of
any used goods, be they antiques, houses or Barbie dolls.  Supply and
demand.  MGs are hot, XJs are not.  Their reputation has preceded them. A
used Bentley for $10k is still a used LBC with questionable reliability,
pricey difficult-to-find servicing, overpriced parts with little
aftermarket support, and a known fragility to our climate.  An XJS will
always be ugly, cramped and unreliable.

A used MGB at $6k shows a value around what it was worth new 20 years ago.
This is the mark of a good collector car.  If it has reached its original
value in 20 or so years it is a good investment.  The MGB is one of the
aftermarkets best-supported collector cars. A used Bentley at $10k is very
underpriced relative to its new cost but it's not as good an investment.
See above for the reasons.  You get what you pay for.

Remember that inflation marches on. 35 years ago - when the MGB was
introduced, a half-decent used car cost $100. Ten years ago the same $50
car was $500.  Now its more like $1,000.  You're just suffering from
used-car sticker-shock.  The cure is to walk through a couple of new-car
showrooms.

John McEwen