Re: Think I got some very slow coolant leaks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Think I got some very slow coolant leaks
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:59:11 -0500 (EST)

>  BobMGT@aol.com wrote:
>  >
>  > The mechanic found a crack at the neck of
>  > the radiator. Who knows how long it's been there.
>
>  It's probably been there every since the mechnic wrenched the cap off!
>
>  > Well, 70 miles later I found a few drops of green liquid around
>  > number two spark plug
>
>  You have perfectly described the symptoms of a cracked head. Sorry.
>
>  > and a little weaping around the freeze plugs.
>
>  Hmmm. Are you running a 7 pound cap? (I think that is the rating.)

Yup, it was a cracked head. I tried Barr's Leaks but it did not totally stop
the leak. I took it to the local MG shop and the mechanic immediately
pulled the valve cover off and the crack was visible on the smooth edge
of the head under the valve cover gasket. The crack was not visible on the
rough outside surface of the head, but you could see a thin line of
antifreeze
coming out.

So I'm getting a used head salvaged from a wreak (the shop has a stock
of these and they are much, much cheaper than new). It's been
magnifluxed and found crack free. I figure that this is the time to get
no-lead valve seats so it's going to the machine shop first.

Should I forget about the reconditioned head and get one of the
brand new no-lead models?

Thanks to Bob Allen and all the others that responded.

BTW, the radiator cap is 13 pounds. Is that bad?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336