Re: Yankee go home?/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: Yankee go home?/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 20:06:11 -0500
>Something like a class action lawsuit or some such
>regarding the TT RX-7s.

There have been many, many, many, many problems with the 3rd Gen Rx-7's.
Mostly due to shoddy construction techniques. The further you got into the
series, the worse you got.

78-85 - 1st gen - no problems, SIMPLE car to work on (once you get over the
lack of pistons) and very fast
86-92 - 2nd gen - electrical problems, mostly due to chips becoming unsoldered
93-96 - 3rd gen - Hah! What hasn't broken?

An Rx-7 can be a good car, or a bad car, depending on how well the PO's
have taken care of them. As soon as my Mercury dies, I'm going to buy
another one. (Of course, this also depends on how reliable my B turns out
to be)

>Tis like my boss said when he saw the Spec RX-7 for the
>first time.  "Oh yeah, typical Japanese paint job."

Again, care by the PO's

>Again, I've just not been impressed with anything Japanese,
>in the order of dealing with 'em:  280ZX, '86 Honda Prelude,
>'82 RX-7, '97 Honda Prelude.  The '97 Prelude (a college buddy's
>car) is ok, but the trim isn't so great (come on, what outside
>of a custom interior with wilton wool and leather is gonna
>be?), and I'll bet with a few more miles it'll have
>all the same old problems.  Paint fades.  Dashes crack.
>Seats tear.  Suspensions sag.

My 85 Rx-7 was a blast to drive. Out handled my friends 86 300zx. You need
to have the 5 speed version, as the automatics choked the engine. You also
need to realize that you'll never get any performance out of an Rx-7 if you
shift before 5000 rpm. The rotary engine is designed for high rev's. I had
my mother's 88 Rx-7 10th Anniversary Ed. up to 70 in 2nd gear - without
trying. Plus her interior, and my old one as well, looked great - nice feat
considering the glass sunroof I had on my 85.

>These days cars are not long term investments.  No matter where
>in the world they are made, they are (for that fat part of the
>bell curve) nothing more than appliances.

They are if you tuck them away and never drive them. But then again, what's
the point of owning a car you'll never drive? Isn't that part of the fun?
Me, I want a DeLorean as a daily driver! =)

BEN RUSET
78 MGB Roadster - 89 Mercury Cougar
Crossroads - http://www.monmouth.com/~bruset
^^^ Personal Web Page
Saftey Fast! - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis
^^^ Note: Under construction, and taking submissions!