RE: Body and Paint

To: "ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: RE: Body and Paint
From: patti morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:07:21 -0600
I'd like to add that I have plastic filler on MGA that was done in 1976.
The filler is fine. I was tought the trick to using it was
1) clean the surface down to bare metal and it's best to rouch up the
surface with a 80 or 100 grit sanding disk. Don't apply over paint unless
it's over one of the 2 part primers that says to do that (like PPG DP epoxy
primers).

2) Buy the good stuff from a body shop supply store. They sell the better
brands and it will be fresh.

3) Use it for filling dents not holes. If the panel is rusted out and you
stick a piece of screen wire over the hole and then cover with filler, you
might be able to smooth the area so it looks ok but it will be temporary.
Moisture will get into the filler from the backside (it's porous) and it
will eventually fail.

I think it's the screen wire scenerio that added greatly to plastic
filler's bad name. That and filling over a dent without banging it out so
that you have tons of filler there.

My 2 cents...:)

John