Re: Heads Off, Now what?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heads Off, Now what?
From: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 15:39:52 EST

> > > and in a unheated garage in
>  > > Michigan in December, corrosion is a concern.  Anyone have any ideas
> about
>  > > somthing that can be sprayed or painted onto the bare metal to prevent
> this?

I suggest applying Waxoyl. I did a little experiment with pieces of  steel
wool.
I soaked each one with different solutions which are supposed to prevent rust,
and exposed them to the elements with an occasional spritz of saltwater to
boot.
After six months:

Waxoyl - the winner by a long shot. Only a little rust around the edges.

Rust Check aerosol srpay - seems to be an oil, worked better than the other
oils.

LubriMatic Fogging Oil - not very effective for external protection, but
that's not what it's made for

Motor Oil - no better than the fogging oil, (all the oils worked for a while)

Nothing - the steel wool was nothing but a rust colored spot in a matter of
weeks

The moral of the story: Waxoyl has staying power that oil does'nt. Oil works
but it must be replenished. Evidently, oil gradually washes off. That's why
LBC engines are excellent rust preventors, they keep a fresh film of oil on
all surfaces under the hood.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336