Re: computer & electronic posturing

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: computer & electronic posturing
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 20:31:37 +0000
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Dec 1997 11:30:55 -0500 The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
> writes:
>
>   Voice activated VCR controls---you're right on the cutting edge of
> technology, man, and a lot farther along than the rest of us.
> Bob
>  with a  13 channel, B&W GE tv, circa 1984
>
> > Now that I think of it, I can't even program our most recent VCR
> >other than
> >to hand the remote (the pain) over to my wife and say something like,
> >"Carolina basketball at seven-thirty" or "Speedweek at four o'clock."
> >
> >Michael, living at impulse speed in a warp speed world, New Bern, NC

Many years ago a chap seeing out his last years with British Telecom in
a remote part of Scotland had the job of going round all the houses
preparing the phones for the big changeover to automatic exchanges from
manual where all calls were connected by operators.  He thought he was
doing a wonderful job at the cutting edge of technology until, at the
the Lairds house, in replay to his statement that the Laird would be
able to pick up his phone and dial anywhere in the world, the Laird said
"Well I don't call that an improvement, at the moment all I have to do
is pick up the phone and ask!".

PaulH.