Re: Why U.S. Beer is (IMHO) Inferior

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why U.S. Beer is (IMHO) Inferior
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 12:04:58 -0800
A small correction to the description of Renheitsgebot.  The ingredients
were: Malt, Hops and Water.

Yeast (saccaromiaces cervasie <sp?>) was taken for granted since the
yeast that was used was naturally occurring wild yeast.  And though
brewers would pitch yeast slurry from one batch into the next to start
fermentation, nobody knew what it actually was in 1516.  Many believed
fermentation was an act of God (I still do!).

Over time, yeasts became sort of domesticated.  Each brewery had its
resident yeast that was the dominant strain.  Because brewers pitched
yeast from one batch to the next, the strains became more pure and were
well preserved.  Many of the original strains - though they have changed
somewhat over the years - are still represented in contemporary
brewing.  I happen to have a nice authentic strain of Veinsteffen yeast
waiting in my fridge for my next Heffeweizen.

As for American beers being inferior, certainly the generic, adjuncted
light American lagers are horrible.  However, the resurgence of craft
brews puts good American beers on par with any in the world IMHO!

Andy

--

Andy Ramm
A silver face in a tweed world.

I refuse to accept any unauthorized or unsolicited E-mail
communications.  The sending of an unsolicited E-mail communication
shall be proof that the sender has agreed, by action, to send $500.00
US/ certified funds to me, prior to any unsolicited or unauthorized
transmission.

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever
is greater, for each violation."